Rev. Charles A. Grady, O.S.A. (1901-1981)
Rev. Charles A. Grady, O.S.A. entered eternal life on December 21, 1981.
Charles Augustus Grady was born on May 4, 1901 in Waterford, New York to Charles A. and Agnes (Morton) Grady. He was baptized on May 12, 1901 at St. Mary Catholic Church, Waterford. He received the Sacrament of Confirmation on May 24, 1911 at the same church.
After attending Waterford Public School No. 1 for seven years, Charles enrolled in St. Bernard Academy, Cohoes, New York, which granted him a high school diploma in 1919. He was received into the Augustinian Novitiate on June 27, 1920. He professed simple (temporary) vows in the Order of St. Augustine on June 28, 1921 and solemn (permanent) vows on June 28, 1924.
Charles earned a B.A. in Philosophy from Villanova College, Villanova, Pennsylvania, in 1924. He then pursued theological studies at Villanova College until 1928. He was ordained a priest on June 11, 1927.
Father Grady was assigned to St. Mary Parish, Lawrence, Massachusetts, in 1928 as Assistant Pastor. He became Assistant Pastor of Our Mother of Good Counsel Parish, Bryn Mawr, Pennsylvania, in 1932. He was transferred in 1933 to St. Rita Parish, Chicago, Illinois, where he served as Assistant Pastor.
In 1938, Father Grady was assigned to St. Rita Parish, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, as Assistant Pastor. He served as Assistant Pastor of St. James Parish, Carthage, New York, from 1939 to 1941. He returned in 1941 to St. Mary Parish, Lawrence, again serving as Assistant Pastor.
He was affiliated to the Augustinian Province of Our Mother of Good Counsel (Augustinians of the Midwest) in 1946. He taught at St. Rita High School, Chicago, from 1946 to 1948. Father Grady returned to parish ministry in 1948, serving as Assistant Pastor of St. Mary Parish, Rockford, Illinois, until 1951. He was assigned in 1951 as Assistant Pastor at St. Clare of Montefalco Parish, Chicago.
Father Grady became Assistant Pastor of St. Matthew Parish, Flint, Michigan, in 1959. He also was Prior (local superior) of the Augustinian community in Flint. He served again as Assistant Pastor of St. Clare of Montefalco Parish, Chicago, from 1965 to 1968.
In 1969, Father Grady retired from full-time ministry. He was transferred to St. Monica Monastery, Oconomowoc, Wisconsin, where he lived until the time of his death on December 21, 1981.
Father Grady was always willing to serve. Even in his advanced age, he would, without complaint, even eagerly, minister at Catholic parishes near Oconomowoc whenever they needed extra help. In our Christian religion, where charity is extolled, it is clear that Father Grady was a kindly man, and the people knew this.
He is buried in the Augustinian plot at Holy Sepulchre Cemetery, Alsip, Illinois.