Rev. Daniel B. Trusch, O.S.A. (1929-1993)

Rev. Daniel B. Trusch, O.S.A. entered eternal life on June 5, 1993.

Daniel Bernard Trusch was born on June 5, 1929 in Chicago, Illinois to Paul D. and Eva (Shabinger) Trusch.

In September 1942, Daniel entered St. Monica Minor Seminary, Oconomowoc, Wisconsin.  He transferred in 1945 to Augustinian Academy, Staten Island, New York, where he received his high school diploma in 1946. On September 9, 1946, he was received into the Augustinian Novitiate. He professed simple (temporary) vows in the Order of St. Augustine on September 10, 1947 and solemn (permanent) vows on September 10, 1950.  

Daniel earned a B.A. from Villanova University in 1951. He then pursued theological studies at Augustinian College, Washington, D.C., where he was ordained a priest on February 5, 1955.

Father Trusch's first assignment was as a teacher at St. Rita High School, Chicago, from 1955 to 1962. He also served as Dean of the Technical Department.  From 1962 to 1968, he was Assistant Principal at Augustinian Academy, St. Louis, Missouri. He was then appointed as Principal of St. Rita High School, Chicago, in 1968. He also served from 1968 to 1971 as Province Coordinator of Financial Affairs.

In 1969, Father Trusch was seriously injured in an automobile accident. He was paralyzed from the waist down until his death. However, he continued to serve as Principal of St. Rita High School until 1971. He also continued to reside at St. Rita Monastery until September 1992, when he was moved to Mother Theresa Home, Lemont, Illinois. After many years of suffering, he died on June 5, 1993, his 64th birthday.

Father Trusch was a man of great personal fidelity. The circumstances of his life made him approachable and ready to serve the community. His long-suffering and patient endurance were a strong witness to all his Augustinian brothers.

Father Trusch is buried in the Augustinian plot at Holy Sepulchre Cemetery, Alsip, Illinois.

Memorial gifts may be made to Province of Our Mother of Good Counsel, 5401 S. Cornell Ave., Chicago, IL 60615-5664, or via our Online Giving Page.