Brother Daniel L. Gridley, O.S.A. (1937 - 2004)

Brother Daniel L. Gridley, O.S.A., 66, entered eternal life on March 22, 2004, following a hospitalization of more than two months. He was being treated for heart problems.

Daniel Lawrence Gridley was born on October 21, 1937 in Evergreen Park, Illinois to Jackson H. and Margaret E. (Smith) Gridley. He was baptized on May 8, 1938 at St. Cajetan Catholic Church, Chicago, Illinois. He received the Sacrament of Confirmation on June 5, 1949 at St. Joseph Catholic Church, Homewood, Illinois.

After graduating from St. Joseph Elementary School, Homewood, in 1952, Dan enrolled in Mendel Catholic High School, Chicago, where he studied for two years. He then transferred to St. Edward High School, Elgin, Illinois, where he completed his high school studies, earning his diploma in 1956.

Dan entered the formation program for Augustinian Brothers at Oconomowoc, Wisconsin, in September of 1956. He was received into the Augustinian Novitiate at Oconomowoc on September 3, 1959. He professed simple (temporary) vows in the Order of St. Augustine on September 4, 1960 and solemn (permanent) vows on September 3, 1963.

While working full-time, Br. Dan began collegiate studies at Malcolm X College, Chicago, in 1972, earning an A.A.S. in 1976. He continued his studies at Chicago State University, Chicago, where he received a B.A. in Business Management in 1980. He studied Clinical Pastoral Education at the University of Chicago Hospitals from 1984 to 1986.

Br. Dan had three distinct careers. He first worked in maintenance and housekeeping at St. Joseph Mission House, Fort Wayne, Indiana, from 1960 to 1962; at Mendel Monastery, Chicago, from 1962 to 1965; and at Augustinian Academy, St. Louis, Missouri, in 1965 and 1966.

While at Augustinian Academy, he began to work in food service -- his second career. He worked in the school cafeteria there. Br. Dan was transferred to St. Rita High School, Chicago, in 1966 and joined the cafeteria staff. In 1968, he was named Manager of the St. Rita cafeteria. He became Manager of the cafeteria at Mendel Catholic High School, Chicago, in 1981. Two years later, in 1983, he was named District Manager, overseeing the food service operations of several Chicago area Catholic Schools.

After leaving food service work in 1984, Br. Dan entered his Clinical Pastoral Education program. Upon completing Clinical Pastoral Education in 1986, he began his third career, that of Hospital Chaplain. While continuing to reside at Mendel Monastery, Chicago, he became part of the pastoral care staff at Palos Community Hospital, Palos Heights, Illinois, where he continued to serve until his final illness.

Br. Dan obtained his Chaplain's certification from the National Association of Catholic Chaplains.  He was a clinical member of the Association of Clinical Pastoral Education.

He relocated to Blessed William Monastery, Chicago, in 1988.  He was assigned de familia to St. Nicholas of Tolentine Monastery, Olympia Fields, Illinois, in 2000.

In January of 2004, Br. Dan became seriously ill. He was hospitalized and underwent heart surgery, but never regained his health. He died on March 22, 2004 at Christ Hospital, Oak Lawn, Illinois.

Br. Dan is remembered for his kindness and willingness to help in any way. He was a good listener and a solid support for his fellow friars, as well as for those to whom he ministered at Palos Hospital. He was enthusiastic about his work as chaplain. Br. Dan was highly respected as a chaplain and was honored as top employee of Palos Community Hospital by vote of the hospital staff. In spite of the many medical problems that faced him throughout his life, he maintained a positive, cheerful and faith-filled outlook. His family knew him as a loving brother and uncle.

Br. Dan willed his body for scientific research. A memorial Mass was celebrated on April 3, 2004.

Memorial gifts may be made to Province of Our Mother of Good Counsel, 5401 S. Cornell Ave., Chicago, IL 60615-5664, or via our Online Giving Page.