Rev. Edmund L. Burke, O.S.A. (1916-1984)

Rev. Edmund L. Burke, O.S.A., entered eternal life on April 16, 1984.

Edmund Lawrence Burke was born on March 30, 1916, in Chicago, Illinois, to Lawrence and Jennie (Proctor) Burke. He was baptized on April 16, 1916, at Visitation Catholic Church, Chicago. He received the Sacrament of Confirmation on October 14, 1927, at St. Clare of Montefalco Catholic Church, Chicago.

He received his elementary education at Visitation Catholic School and St. Clare of Montefalco Catholic School, both in Chicago. He graduated high school in 1934 from Augustinian Academy, Staten Island, New York.

Edmund was received into the Augustinian Novitiate on September 8, 1934. He professed simple (temporary) vows in the Order of St. Augustine on September 10, 1935, and solemn (permanent) vows on September 10, 1938.

He earned a B.A. in Philosophy from Villanova College, Villanova, Pennsylvania, in 1939. He pursued theological studies from 1939 to 1943 at Augustinian College, Washington, D.C. He was ordained a priest on May 28, 1942. He did graduate studies in Math and Physics at Catholic University of America, Washington, D.C., and additional studies at Notre Dame College, St. Louis, Missouri; Villanova University, Villanova; and at DeVry Technical Institute, Chicago, Illinois.

Father Burke was assigned in 1943 to St. Rita High School, Chicago, as a teacher. He taught at Augustinian Academy, St. Louis, from 1965 to 1972. He then taught at Cascia Hall School, Tulsa, Oklahoma, beginning in 1972. From 1975 to 1979, he was assigned to Austin Catholic High School, Detroit, Michigan, where he was a teacher and Prior (local superior) of the Augustinian community. He returned to Cascia Hall, Tulsa, in 1979 and taught there until the time of his death.

During the 1980's, Father Burke developed cancer. On April 16, 1984, the 68th anniversary of his baptism, he died at the Cascia Hall Monastery, Tulsa, surrounded by members of his Augustinian community.

Father Burke was a man who gave himself totally to the community and to his apostolate. During his illness, he suffered patiently and continued teaching until a few days before his death.

He is buried in the Augustinian plot at Holy Sepulchre Cemetery, Alsip, Illinois.

Memorial gifts may be made to Province of Our Mother of Good Counsel, 5401 S. Cornell Ave., Chicago, IL 60615-5664, or via our Online Giving Page.