Rev. Edward A. Sullivan, O.S.A. (1905 - 1990)

Rev. Edward A. “Tad” Sullivan, O.S.A. entered eternal life on April 13, 1990.

Edward Augustine Sullivan was born on December 1, 1905 in Lawrence, Massachusetts to Richard and Anna (Cronin) Sullivan. He was baptized on December 3, 1905 at St. Mary Catholic Church, Lawrence.

For his high school education, Edward attended Augustinian Academy, Staten Island, New York, earning his diploma there in 1927.  He was received into the Augustinian Novitiate on September 8, 1927.  He professed simple (temporary) vows in the Order of St. Augustine on September 9, 1928 and solemn (permanent) vows on September 10, 1931. At Villanova College, Villanova, Pennsylvania, Edward earned a B.A. in Philosophy in 1932. He then studied theology at Augustinian College, Washington, D.C., from 1932 to 1936. He was ordained a priest on June 11, 1935.

Father Sullivan served briefly on the staff of the Augustinian Novitiate, New Hamburg, New York, in 1936. He was then assigned in 1937 to St. Mary Parish, Rockford, Illinois, where he was Assistant Pastor. From 1940 to 1943, he was Assistant Pastor at St. Rita Church, Chicago, Illinois.

In August 1943, Father Sullivan was commissioned as a Navy Chaplain. He was stationed with the Marine Corps until June 1946. During his tour of duty, he was at the Marianas Islands of Saipan, Tinian, and Guam.

After being discharged from the Navy, Father Sullivan returned to St. Rita Parish, Chicago, where he served as Assistant Pastor until 1951. In that year, he became a teacher at St. Rita High School, Chicago.  He was transferred in 1958 to Mendel Catholic High School, Chicago, and he served there as a teacher and Sub-prior (assistant superior) of the Augustinian community.  From 1956 to 1966, he also served as Director of the Augustinian Seminary Guild, which raised funds to support Augustinian programs of formation.

Father Sullivan retired to St. Rita Monastery, Chicago, in 1974. He later transferred to the Augustinian Monastery at Merrimack College, North Andover, Massachusetts. He died there on Good Friday, April 13, 1990.

Many have fond memories of Father "Tad"Sullivan.  In his final years, he was noted for his humor, his willingness to be involved in community projects, and his enthusiasm in helping as much as possible in the school. 

Father Sullivan is buried in the Augustinian plot at St. Mary Cemetery, Lawrence.

Memorial gifts may be made to Province of Our Mother of Good Counsel, 5401 S. Cornell Ave., Chicago, IL 60615-5664, or via our Online Giving Page.