Rev. Henry W. McArdle, O.S.A. (1919-1969)

Rev. Henry W. McArdle, O.S.A. entered eternal life on February 4, 1969.

Henry William McArdle was born on June 8, 1919 in Masontown, Pennsylvania to Edward and Mary Ellen (Ahern) McArdle. He was baptized on June 29, 1919 at All Saints Catholic Church, Masontown. He received the Sacrament of Confirmation on May 27, 1931 at the same church.

Henry received his elementary and secondary education at All Saints School, Masontown, earning his high school diploma in 1936. After a year of post-graduate studies at Augustinian Academy, Staten Island, New York, he was received into the Augustinian Novitiate on September 9, 1937.

On September 10, 1938, Henry professed simple (temporary) vows in the Order of St. Augustine. He professed solemn (permanent) vows on September 10, 1941.  In 1941, he earned a B.A. in Philosophy from Villanova College, Villanova, Pennsylvania. He then pursued theological studies at Augustinian College, Washington, D.C. Henry was ordained a priest on May 18, 1944. He did additional studies at Villanova College, Catholic University of America in Washington, and DePaul University in Chicago.

Father McArdle was assigned to parish and educational ministries in Cuba, where he remained for five years. He next served at several parishes in New York and Massachusetts. At his own request, he was affiliated to the Augustinian Province of Our Mother of Good Counsel (Augustinians of the Midwest) in 1953.

Father McArdle was assigned to St. Rita High School, Chicago, in 1953.  Here he served as teacher, Disciplinarian and Band Moderator. In 1960, he became Rector of St. Joseph Mission House, Fort Wayne, Indiana. He returned to St. Rita High School in 1962 and served as Prior (local superior) of the Augustinian Community there.

In 1966, Father McArdle was appointed Superior of the Augustinian Missions in Peru. Ill health caused him to return to the United States in 1967. He died on February 4, 1969.

Father McArdle is buried in the Augustinian plot at Holy Sepulchre Cemetery, Alsip, Illinois.

Memorial gifts may be made to Province of Our Mother of Good Counsel, 5401 S. Cornell Ave., Chicago, IL 60615-5664, or via our Online Giving Page.