Rev. James G. Corrigan, O.S.A. (1914-1966)
Rev. James G. Corrigan, O.S.A., entered eternal life on August 8, 1966.
James George Corrigan was born on January 18, 1914, in Bronx, New York, to John and Annie (Cullen) Corrigan. He was baptized on January 25, 1914, at Our Lady of Mercy Catholic Church, Fordham, New York. He received the Sacrament of Confirmation on November 4, 1920, at St. Nicholas of Tolentine Catholic Church, Bronx.
James received his elementary education at St. Nicholas of Tolentine School, Bronx. He earned his high school diploma from St. Nicholas of Tolentine High School, Bronx, in 1931. He then studied for one year at Manhattan College.
He was received into the Augustinian Novitiate on September 9, 1932. He professed simple (temporary) vows in the Order of St. Augustine on September 11, 1933, and solemn (permanent) vows on September 11, 1936. He earned a B.A. in Philosophy from Villanova College, Villanova, Pennsylvania, in 1937. He then pursued theological studies at Augustinian College, Washington, D. C. He was ordained a priest on June 10, 1940. He did additional studies in Mathematics, Engineering and Chemistry at Villanova and at Catholic University of America, Washington.
Father Corrigan was affiliated in 1941 to the newly formed Augustinian Province of Our Mother of Good Counsel (Augustinians of the Midwest). He taught at St. Thomas High School, Rockford, Illinois, from 1941 to 1955. He was assigned in 1955 to teach at Austin Catholic High School, Detroit, Michigan. In 1963, Father Corrigan was assigned to teach at Cascia Hall, Tulsa, Oklahoma.
He died on August 8, 1966, in Tulsa from chronic pulmonary emphysema and bronchitis, from which he had suffered for several years.
He was originally buried in the Augustinian plot at Villanova, Pennsylvania. When that cemetery was relocated to the Augustinian plot at Calvary Cemetery, West Conshohocken, Pennsylvania, in 1980, Father Corrigan’s body was moved there.