Rev. James S. Reilly, O.S.A. (1903 - 1981)

Rev. James S. Reilly, O.S.A. entered eternal life on June 4, 1981.

James Samuel Reilly was born on December 8, 1903 in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania to Edward F. and Mary Jane (Mason) Reilly. He was baptized on December 27, 1903 at Annunciation Catholic Church, Philadelphia. He received the Sacrament of Confirmation on April 19, 1911 at St. Monica Catholic Church, Philadelphia.

In 1921, James graduated from Roman Catholic High School, Philadelphia. He began undergraduate collegiate studies at Temple University, Philadelphia, in preparation for his work in the fields of accounting and real estate. He entered the Augustinian program of formation in 1927 at Augustinian Academy, Staten Island, New York. James was received into the Augustinian Novitiate on September 8, 1928. He professed simple (temporary) vows in the Order of St. Augustine on September 10, 1929 and solemn (permanent) vows on September 10, 1932.

After professing vows, James completed his college studies in 1932, earning a B.A. in Philosophy from Villanova College, Villanova, Pennsylvania. He then pursued theological studies from 1932 to 1936 at Augustinian College, Washington, D.C. He was ordained a priest on June 11, 1935.

During 1936, Father Reilly served briefly as Assistant Pastor at Immaculate Conception Parish, Hoosick Falls, New York. He was then named Master of Professed at St. Mary's Hall, Villanova.  He became Procurator (Business Manager) at Villanova College in 1938.

In 1941, Father Reilly began a long career in parish ministry. He served as Assistant Pastor at St. Denis Catholic Parish, Havertown, Pennsylvania (1941-1959); at St. John the Baptist Catholic Parish, Schaghticoke, New York (1959-1961), and at St. Joseph Catholic Parish, Greenwich, New York (1961-1962).

Father Reilly became affiliated to the Augustinian Province of Our Mother of Good Counsel (Augustinians of the Midwest) in 1962. He was assigned that same year as Assistant Pastor at St. Augustine Church, Detroit, Michigan. In 1964 and 1965, he served as Prior (local superior) at Augustinian Academy, St. Louis, Missouri. After this, Father Reilly served as Prior at Tolentine College, Olympia Fields, Illinois, for a short time in 1965.  He was then elected that year as Econome General (Business Manager) of the Augustinian Order. He served in that office in Rome until 1967, when he tendered his resignation.

Upon his return from Rome in 1967, Father Reilly served briefly as Pastor of St. Gregory Parish, Galt (now Cambridge), Ontario, Canada. In 1968, he was named Prior of the Augustinian Provincialate, Evanston, Illinois. Later in 1968, Father Reilly was transferred to St. Clare of Montefalco Parish, Grosse Pointe Park, Michigan, where he was Prior until 1971. He remained there until 1972, when he retired to St. Thomas of Villanova Monastery, Villanova. He died there on June 4, 1981.

Father Reilly was a friendly and pastoral man. He loved to spend time with people, modeling himself after Christ, the Good Shepherd.

He is buried in the Augustinian plot at Calvary Cemetery, West Conshohocken, Pennsylvania.

Memorial gifts may be made to Province of Our Mother of Good Counsel, 5401 S. Cornell Ave., Chicago, IL 60615-5664, or via our Online Giving Page.