Rev. John C. McCutcheon, O.S.A. (1939-1966)

Rev. John C. McCutcheon, O.S.A. entered eternal life on December 1, 1966.

John Crane McCutcheon was born on July 21, 1939 in Chicago, Illinois to Stewart and Grace (Crane) McCutcheon. He was baptized on August 13, 1939 at St. Therese of the Infant Jesus Catholic Church, Chicago. He received the Sacrament of Confirmation on May 18, 1949 at the same church.

After receiving elementary education at St. Therese of the Infant Jesus School, John attended St. Rita High School, Chicago, graduating in 1956.  He then attended Wilson Junior College, Chicago, for one year. In 1957, he entered the the Augustinian program of formation as a post-graduate student at St. Augustine Seminary, Holland, Michigan.

On February 8, 1958, John was received into the Augustinian Novitiate. He professed simple (temporary) vows in the Order of St. Augustine on February 9, 1959 and solemn (permanent) vows on February 9, 1962. He completed his collegiate studies at Tolentine Hall, Olympia Fields, Illinois. At that time, Tolentine was an extension of Villanova University, Villanova, Pennsylvania. He earned a B.A. in Philosophy from Villanova in 1962.

Following graduation, John did graduate studies during the summer session at St. Louis University, St. Louis, Missouri.  He was then assigned to study theology at the International College of St. Monica, Rome, beginning in the Fall of 1962. He completed the requirements for a theological degree in 1966.  John was ordained a priest on July 16, 1966.

Because he was an excellent speaker, Father McCutcheon's first assignment after ordination was to the Augustinian Mission Band, based at St. Joseph Mission House, Fort Wayne, Indiana. Members of the Mission Band preached at parish missions and directed spiritual retreats throughout the United States.

Father McCutcheon died suddenly on December 1, 1966 at St. Joseph Mission House. He is buried in the Augustinian plot at Holy Sepulchre Cemetery, Alsip, Illinois.

Memorial gifts may be made to Province of Our Mother of Good Counsel, 5401 S. Cornell Ave., Chicago, IL 60615-5664, or via our Online Giving Page.