Rev. John E. McLaughlin, O.S.A. (1910-1974)Rev. John E. McLaughlin, O.S.A. entered eternal life on September 6, 1974.
John Edward McLaughlin was born on January 24, 1910 in Malden, Massachusetts to Edward and Elizabeth (David) McLaughlin. He was baptized on February 6, 1910 at Sacred Heart Catholic Church, Malden. He received the Sacrament of Confirmation on October 31, 1922 at St. Mary Catholic Church, Melrose, Massachusetts.
After completing studies at Augustinian Academy, Staten Island, New York, John was received into the Augustinian Novitiate on September 9, 1928. He professed vows in the Order of St. Augustine on September 10, 1929. He earned a B.A. in Philosophy from Villanova College, Villanova, Pennsylvania, and then pursued theological studies at Augustinian College, Washington, D.C. John was ordained a priest on June 9, 1936. He later earned an M.A. in Philosophy from Catholic University of America, Washington, and a Specialist in Education degree from DePaul University, Chicago, Illinois.
Father McLaughlin taught at St. Rita High School, Chicago, from 1937 to 1942. After this, he was the first Director of Postulants at St. Monica Seminary, Oconomowoc, Wisconsin, from 1942 to 1949. Since the preparatory seminary program was moved in 1949 from St. Monica to St. Augustine Seminary in Holland, Michigan, the Novitiate program was established at St. Monica and Father McLaughlin remained as the first Director of Novices. He served in that office until 1956, when he returned to St. Rita High School, Chicago, and served as Principal. During his administration, St. Rita, with 2250 students, was the largest Catholic boys' high school in the Midwestern United States.
In 1962, Father McLaughlin was named Director of Professed at Augustinian Academy, St. Louis, Missouri. He then served in the same position from 1963 to 1965 at Tolentine College, Olympia Fields, Illinois. From 1965 to 1967, he served as Principal of Austin Catholic High School, Detroit. After this, he became Pastor of St. Clare of Montefalco Parish, Grosse Pointe Park, Michigan.
A serious heart condition made Father McLaughlin's retirement necessary in 1973. He spent a year recuperating at Mother of Good Counsel Monastery at Merrimack College, North Andover, Massachusetts. He returned to the Midwest in 1974 and resided at St. Nicholas of Tolentine Monastery in Olympia Fields until the time of his death on September 6, 1974.
Father McLaughlin is buried in the Augustinian plot at Lawrence, Massachusetts.