Brother John E. Newton, O.S.A. (1957 - 2001)

Brother John E. Newton, O.S.A. died during a fire in his room on Friday morning, March 23, 2001, at the Augustinian Friary of Saint John of Sahagún, New Lenox, Illinois.

John was born on June 11, 1957 in Chicago, Illinois to James and Joan (White) Newton. He had two brothers, James and Jeffrey, and four sisters, Joan, Judy, Janet and Jennifer.  He was baptized on June 23, 1957 at Immaculate Conception Catholic Church, Chicago.

In June of 1975, John graduated from Saint Rita High School, Chicago. He entered the Augustinian formation program at Villanova University in 1976. He earned a B.A. in Philosophy from Villanova in 1980.  After a period of discernment, John entered the Augustinian Novitiate, Saint Louis, Missouri, on September 9, 1984. Because of health problems, his Novitiate year was extended. He professed simple (temporary) vows in the Order of St. Augustine on November 30, 1985 and solemn (permanent) vows on November 4, 1989.

While continuing theological studies, Brother John resided at Saint John Stone Friary, Chicago, from 1985 to 1987.  He was transferred to Saint Rita High School, Chicago, in 1987, where he served as instructor, coach, and Director of Activities.

In 1996, Brother John was assigned to the Augustinian Friary of Saint John of Sahagún, New Lenox, where he remained until his death. He was a theology instructor and wrestling coach at Providence Catholic High School, New Lenox. He also served the Augustinian community as Treasurer from 1996 to 1999.

Brother John was deeply dedicated to his religious commitment as an Augustinian and educator during his ministry to youth, whether in the spiritual, educational or athletic setting.

Brother John is buried in the Augustinian plot at Holy Sepulchre Cemetery, Alsip, Illinois.

Memorial gifts may be made to Province of Our Mother of Good Counsel, 5401 S. Cornell Ave., Chicago, IL 60615-5664, or via our Online Giving Page.