Rev. John Patrick Murphy, O.S.A. (1929 - 2004)

Rev. John Patrick Murphy, O.S.A. entered eternal life on January 13, 2004.

John Patrick Murphy was born on May 20, 1929 in Chicago, Illinois to Patrick and Ella (Gorman) Murphy. He was baptized on June 9, 1929 at St. Rita of Cascia Catholic Church, Chicago. He received the Sacrament of Confirmation on October 24, 1939 at the same church.

In 1943, John enrolled in St. Monica Seminary High School, Oconomowoc, Wisconsin, where he studied for three years. For his senior year, he transferred to Augustinian Academy, Staten Island, New York, where he earned his high school diploma in 1947.

John entered the Augustinian Novitiate in September of 1947, but withdrew in 1948 before profession of vows because of his concern about the ill health of both his parents. He was again received into the Novitiate on December 3, 1950. He professed simple (temporary) vows in the Order of St. Augustine on December 4, 1951 and solemn (permanent) vows on December 4, 1954. He was ordained a priest on June 5, 1957.

From 1949 to 1950, John studied for one year at Loyola University, Chicago. He completed his collegiate studies at Villanova University, Villanova, Pennsylvania, after his profession of vows, earning a B.A. in Philosophy. He then did his theological studies from 1954 to 1957 at Augustinian College, Washington, D.C.

Father Murphy was assigned to St. Rita High School, Chicago, as a teacher in 1958. He began a long preaching ministry in 1962 as a member of the Augustinian Mission Band, traveling to numerous locations to direct retreats and conduct week-long parish missions.  In this work, he was first based at St. Joseph Mission House, Fort Wayne, Indiana, from 1962 to 1971.  He was then based at St. Rita Monastery, Chicago, from 1971 to 1993. For several years, he was Director of the Mission Band.

In 1993, Father Murphy was named Associate Pastor of St. Jude Parish, New Lenox, Illinois, and served in that capacity until 2001.  He then retired to Our Lady of Grace Community at Marian Village, Homer Glen, Illinois, where he was residing at the time of his death.

Father Murphy is remembered as a friendly and jovial man who loved to talk with other people. He promoted a sense of community wherever he went. Father Murphy was an effective and entertaining preacher. Particularly when giving talks to children, he would fascinate his audience by weaving magic tricks into his message. Although he experienced much suffering during his life, he always strove to maintain a cheerful disposition.

A funeral Mass of Resurrection was celebrated on January 17, 2004 at St. Jude Church.

Father Murphy is buried in the Augustinian plot at Holy Sepulchre Cemetery, Alsip, Illinois.

Memorial gifts may be made to Province of Our Mother of Good Counsel, 5401 S. Cornell Ave., Chicago, IL 60615-5664, or via our Online Giving Page.