Rev. Joseph A. Coyne, O.S.A. (1907-1987)

Rev. Joseph A. Coyne, O.S.A., entered eternal life on November 2, 1987.

Joseph Aloysius Coyne was born on December 2, 1907, in Chestnut Hill, Pennsylvania, to Thomas P. and Mary (Finnerty) Coyne.

After graduation in 1927 from Augustinian Academy, Staten Island, New York, Joseph was received into the Augustinian Novitiate on September 8, 1927. He professed simple (temporary) vows in the Order of St. Augustine on September 9, 1928, and solemn (permanent) vows on September 9, 1932. He was ordained a priest on June 11, 1935.

In 1932, he earned a B.A. from Villanova College, Villanova, Pennsylvania. He then did theological studies at Augustinian College, Washington, D.C., from 1932 to 1936. Father Coyne received an M.S. in Physics from Villanova College, Villanova, in 1957. He did further studies at a number of schools: Catholic University of America, Washington; Illinois Institute of Technology, Chicago, Illinois; University of Chicago, Chicago; Case Institute of Technology, Cleveland, Ohio; Tulsa University, Tulsa, Oklahoma; and University of Oklahoma, Oklahoma City, Oklahoma.

Father Coyne taught in the 1936 summer session at Villanova College, his alma mater, then was assigned to St. Rita High School, Chicago, as a teacher. When the new Augustinian Province of Our Mother of Good Counsel (Augustinians of the Midwest) was founded in 1941, he was affiliated to that Province.

In 1958 and 1959, he served as Pastor of St. Matthew Parish, Flint, Michigan. He was a teacher at Cascia Hall School, Tulsa, from 1959 to 1965. Then, he was Director of Development at St. Rita High School, Chicago, from 1965 to 1967.

Father Coyne served as Pastor of St. Mary Parish, Champaign, Illinois in 1967. Later that year, he was assigned as Associate Pastor of St. Gregory Catholic Parish, Cambridge, Ontario, Canada. He was also Prior (local superior) of the Augustinian community in Cambridge.

In 1975, Father Coyne became a Senior Friar. He resided at St. Nicholas of Tolentine Monastery, Olympia Fields, Illinois. In retirement, he was active in public relations work for the Province and in support of the Augustinian Missions in Peru.

Father Coyne returned to St. Matthew Parish, Flint, in 1982, where he engaged in a limited parish ministry.

Father Coyne had been suffering from cancer for a number of years, which resulted in a cerebral vascular stroke on November 2, 1987, shortly after he had completed a celebration of Eucharist at St. Matthew Church.

Father Coyne is remembered for his no-nonsense approach to life situations and his deep commitment to the Augustinian Missions in Peru.

He is buried in the Augustinian plot at Calvary Cemetery, West Conshohocken, Pennsylvania.

Memorial gifts may be made to Province of Our Mother of Good Counsel, 5401 S. Cornell Ave., Chicago, IL 60615-5664, or via our Online Giving Page.