Rev. Joseph F. O'Connor, O.S.A. (1915 - 1964)

Rev. Joseph F. O'Connor, O.S.A. entered eternal life on October 26, 1964.

Joseph Francis O'Connor was born on September 19, 1915 in Brookline, Massachusetts to Joseph P. and Mary M. (Bowlen) O'Connor. He was baptized on September 25, 1915 at St. Mary of the Assumption Catholic Church, Brookline. He received the Sacrament of Confirmation on April 7, 1929 at the same church.

After completing his elementary and secondary education at St. Mary School, Brookline, Joseph entered the Augustinian program of formation as a post-graduate student on September 10, 1934. He was received into the Augustinian Novitiate on November 16, 1934. He professed simple (temporary) vows in the Order of St. Augustine on November 17, 1935 and solemn (permanent) vows on November 17, 1938.

Joseph earned a B.A. in Philosophy from Villanova College, Villanova, Pennsylvania, in 1939. He then pursued theological studies at Augustinian College, Washington, D. C. He was ordained a priest on May 28, 1942. He earned an M.A. in Sociology from Catholic University of America, Washington, in 1943.

Father O'Connor was assigned in 1943 to St. Rita High School, Chicago, Illinois, where he served until 1950. He taught history and was Athletic Director. During his time at St. Rita, he also served as a Chaplain for the Illinois National Guard.

In 1950, Father O'Connor was named Assistant Pastor of St. Matthew Parish, Flint, Michigan. He was transferred in 1958 to St. Clare of Montefalco Parish, Grosse Pointe Park, Michigan. Father O'Connor suffered the first of several heart attacks in 1959. He was assigned to St. Monica Novitiate, Oconomowoc, Wisconsin, in 1961 to recover from a second heart attack. In 1962, he returned to St. Rita High School, Chicago, where he served as Assistant Procurator (Business Manager).  He died suddenly of another heart attack on October 26, 1964 in Needham, Massachusetts.  

Father O'Connor is buried in the Augustinian plot at St. Mary Cemetery, Lawrence, Massachusetts.

Memorial gifts may be made to Province of Our Mother of Good Counsel, 5401 S. Cornell Ave., Chicago, IL 60615-5664, or via our Online Giving Page.