Rev. Joseph J. O'Malley, O.S.A. (1909-1971)

Rev. Joseph J. O'Malley, O.S.A. entered eternal life on October 28, 1971.

Joseph John O'Malley was born on May 24, 1909 in Hoosick Falls, New York to John and Mary (Curry) O'Malley. He was baptized on June 13, 1909 in Immaculate Conception Catholic Church, Hoosick Falls. He received the Sacrament of Confirmation on June 7, 1920 in the same church.

On September 9, 1928, Joseph was received into the Augustinian Novitiate. He professed simple (temporary) vows in the Order of St. Augustine on September 10, 1929 and solemn (permanent) vows on September 10, 1932. He earned a B.A. in Philosophy from Villanova College, Villanova, Pennsylvania, in 1933. Joseph then pursued theological studies at Augustinian College, Washington, D.C. He was ordained a priest on June 9, 1936. He did additional studies at a number of schools: The Temple School, Washington;  DePaul University, Chicago, Illinois; and at the University of Southern California.

From 1937 to 1941, Father O'Malley taught at St. Rita High School, Chicago.  He then taught from 1941 to 1945 at St. Augustine High School, San Diego, California. He returned to St. Rita High School in 1945 and taught there until 1966.  That year, Father O'Malley was named Associate Pastor of St. Matthew Parish, Flint, Michigan. He also served as Prior (local superior) of the Augustinian community there. He died in Flint on October 28, 1971.

Father O'Malley was known for his work with athletic groups, both in Chicago and in Flint. In Chicago, he served as Athletic Director at St. Rita High School, coached baseball teams there, and also coached Pony League and Little League teams in the surrounding neighborhood. After his transfer to Flint, he coached baseball teams at St. Matthew School. In recognition of his contribution to the youth of Flint, the City Commission proclaimed May 27, 1979 as Father Joseph J. O'Malley Day.

Father O'Malley is buried in the Augustinian plot at Holy Sepulchre Cemetery, Alsip, Illinois.

Memorial gifts may be made to Province of Our Mother of Good Counsel, 5401 S. Cornell Ave., Chicago, IL 60615-5664, or via our Online Giving Page.