Rev. Martin J. Sobiesk, O.S.A. (1930 - 1994)

Rev. Martin J. Sobiesk, O.S.A. entered eternal life on March 27, 1994.

Martin Joseph Sobiesk was born on September 18, 1930 in Berwyn, Illinois to Martin B. and Mary M. (Tryzana) Sobiesk. He had two brothers and two sisters. He was baptized on September 30, 1930 at St. Blase Catholic Church, Argo, Illinois.

On September 7, 1949, Martin was received into the Augustinian Novitiate. He professed simple (temporary) vows in the Order of St. Augustine on September 9, 1950 and solemn (permanent) vows on September 10, 1954. He received a B.A. in Philosophy from Villanova College, Villanova, Pennsylvania, in 1953. After completing theological studies at Augustinian College, Washington, D.C., he was ordained a priest on August 28, 1960 at Tolentine College, Olympia Fields, Illinois.

Father Sobiesk's first assignment was at St. Augustine Seminary, Holland, Michigan, from 1957 to 1960. He then taught from 1960 to 1963 at St. Rita High School, Chicago, Illinois. After this, he was a teacher and Chairperson of the Science Department at Austin Catholic High School, Detroit, Michigan, from 1963 to 1970.  He was appointed as the Director of Studies at Augustinian Academy, St. Louis, Missouri, in 1970. He returned to teach at St. Rita High School, Chicago, in 1971, and was named Alumni Director in 1976.

After many years of teaching, Father Sobiesk entered the parish apostolate in 1982. He served as Associate Pastor of St. Rita Parish, Chicago, until 1989. He was then named Associate Pastor of St. Gregory Parish, Cambridge, Ontario, Canada. In 1991, he was appointed Prior (Superior) of the Augustinian community in Cambridge.

Father Sobiesk died of cancer on March 27, 1994.

For those who know Father Sobiesk, sharing his “story” at the 1993 Priors' Workshop revealed his acceptance of the challenges in life as a means to deepen his faith in the God to whom he dedicated his life as a priest and teacher.

Father Sobiesk is buried in the Augustinian plot at Holy Sepulchre Cemetery, Alsip, Illinois.

Memorial gifts may be made to Province of Our Mother of Good Counsel, 5401 S. Cornell Ave., Chicago, IL 60615-5664, or via our Online Giving Page.