Rev. Mortimer P. Foley, O.S.A. (1912-1985)

Rev. Mortimer P. Foley, O.S.A. entered eternal life on November 14, 1985.

Mortimer Paul Foley was born on November 2, 1912 in Boston, Massachusetts to Edward and Anna (Cronin) Foley. He was baptized on November 19, 1912 at St. Joseph Catholic Church, Roxbury, Massachusetts. He received the Sacrament of Confirmation on May 19, 1926 at Sacred Heart Catholic Church, Roslindale, Massachusetts.

Mortimer received his early education at Shaw School, Boston. He was a 1930 graduate of Boston English High School.

He was received into the Augustinian Novitiate on September 9, 1932. He professed simple (temporary) vows in the Order of St. Augustine on September 11, 1933 and solemn (permanent) vows on September 11, 1936.

Mortimer earned a B.A. in Philosophy from Villanova College, Villanova, Pennsylvania, in 1937. He then pursued theological studies at Augustinian College, Washington, D.C., from 1937 to 1941. He also did graduate studies in English and History at Catholic University of America, Washington. Mortimer was ordained a priest on June 10, 1940.

Father Foley's first assignment was in 1941 to St. Rita High School, Chicago, as a teacher. He was transferred in 1942 to St. Clare of Montefalco Church, Grosse Pointe Park, Michigan, where he served as Assistant Pastor. In 1948, he was named Assistant Pastor of St. Clare of Montefalco Church in Chicago.

From 1953 to 1957, Father Foley was Rector of Postulants at St. Augustine Seminary, Holland, Michigan. He returned to parish ministry in 1957 when he was appointed Assistant Pastor of St. Rita Catholic Parish, Chicago. Because of declining health, he retired from full-time ministry in 1980, but continued to reside at St. Rita Parish.

In his final years, Father Foley suffered from atherosclerotic heart disease. He died on November 14, 1985 as a result of congestive heart failure.

Father Foley was a humorous and gentle man. He is buried in the Augustinian plot at Holy Sepulchre Cemetery, Alsip, Illinois.

Memorial gifts may be made to Province of Our Mother of Good Counsel, 5401 S. Cornell Ave., Chicago, IL 60615-5664, or via our Online Giving Page.