Rev. Philip H. Foley, O.S.A. (1921 - 1963)
Rev. Philip H. Foley, O.S.A. entered eternal life on January 29, 1963.
Philip Henry Foley was born on May 24, 1921 in Audubon, Iowa to Philip and Veda (Minerman) Foley. He was baptized in June of 1921 at St. Patrick Catholic Church, Audubon. He received the Sacrament of Confirmation on June 14, 1934 at St. Sabina Catholic Church, Chicago, Illinois.
Philip attended St. Sabina Catholic School, Chicago, for six years before enrolling in St. Nicholas of Tolentine Catholic School, Chicago, for the last two years of his elementary education. He began his secondary education at Quigley Preparatory Seminary, Chicago. He later tansferred to St. Rita High School, Chicago. After one year at St. Rita, Philip was accepted into Augustinian Academy, the Augustinian Preparatory Seminary in Staten Island, New York, which granted him a diploma in 1942.
He was received into the Augustinian Novitiate on September 9, 1942. He professed simple (temporary) vows in the Order of St. Augustine on September 10, 1943 and solemn (permanent) vows on September 10, 1946.
Philip earned a B.A. in Philosophy from Villanova College, Villanova, Pennsylvania, in 1947. He then pursued theological studies at St. Monica College, Rome, Italy. He was ordained a priest on July 2, 1950. Following ordination, Father Foley did additional studies in Theology at Gregorian University, Rome, earning an S.T.B. degree in 1951 and an S.T.L. in 1952.
Father Foley returned to the United States in 1952. He was assigned to St. Rita High School, Chicago, as a teacher and chaplain. In 1955, he was appointed as Director of Vocations for the Augustinian Province of Our Mother of Good Counsel. While serving in this position, he resided at St. Monica Novitiate, Oconomowoc, Wisconsin.
In 1958, he was assigned to the faculty of the newly opened Tolentine College, Olympia Fields, Illinois. He was transferred in 1960 to Mendel Catholic High School, Chicago. A year later, in 1961, he was named professor of Dogmatic Theology at the Augustinian School of Theology, St. Louis, Missouri. He died there suddenly on January 29, 1963.
Father Foley is remembered as a kind and gentle friar whose presence was welcomed and company enjoyed wherever he went. There was no rancor or guile in him, but much joy and peace.
He is buried in the Augustinian plot at Holy Sepulchre Cemetery, Alsip, Illinois.