Rev. Stephen R. Fogarty, O.S.A. (1909-1998)

Rev. Stephen R. Fogarty, O.S.A. entered eternal life on August 24, 1998.

Stephen R. Fogarty, son of Joseph and Anne Marie (Hogan) Fogarty, was born on October 7, 1909 in Staten Island, New York.

Upon completion of his elementary education in Staten Island, Stephen attended high school at Augustinian Academy, Staten Island, earning his diploma in 1926.

He was received into the Augustinian Novitiate on August 15, 1926. He professed simple (temporary) vows in the Order of St. Augustine on August 16, 1927 and solemn (permanent) vows on October 8, 1930.

Stephen earned a B.A. in Philosophy from Villanova College, Villanova, Pennsylvania, in 1931. He then studied Theology at Augustinian College, Washington, D.C., from 1931 to 1935. He was ordained a priest on June 12, 1934 in Washington.

Father Fogarty was awarded an M. A. in English in 1935 from Catholic University of America, Washington. He also received an honorary LL. D. from Merrimack College, North Andover, Massachusetts.

In 1935, Father Fogarty was assigned to Cascia Hall School, Tulsa, Oklahoma, as a teacher of English. When the Augustinian Province of Our Mother of Good Counsel (Midwest United States) was formed in 1941, he became a member of that Province.

Father Fogarty became Associate Pastor of St. Clare of Montefalco Parish, Grosse Pointe Park, Michigan, in 1948. He returned to Cascia Hall, Tulsa, in 1949, serving as Prefect of Discipline in the school and Prior (Superior) of the Augustinian Community.

From 1958 to 1962, Father Fogarty was President of Tolentine College, Olympia Fields, Illinois, and Prior of the St. Nicholas of Tolentine Monastery community.

He was transferred to Austin Catholic High School, Detroit, Michigan, in 1962 and was Prior of the Augustinian Community there. In 1965, he was transferred to St. Augustine Parish, Detroit, where he served as Associate Pastor and Prior.

In 1969, Father Fogarty returned again to Cascia Hall, Tulsa.  He was named Pastor of St. Brigid Parish, Tahlequah, Oklahoma, in 1973 and remained there until 1980. During this time, he was also the Catholic chaplain at Northeastern Oklahoma State University.

Father Fogarty retired in 1980.  He resided first at Cascia Hall, Tulsa, and then he lived at St. Thomas of Villanova Monastery, Villanova, Pennsylvania.  Finally, he moved to St. Nicholas of Tolentine Monastery, Olympia Fields, in 1997.  Father Fogarty remained there until a need for health services led to his stay at Mercy Health Care and Rehabilitation Center, Chicago Heights, Illinois.

He was the author of the book Something Ventured, Something Gained and the play The Marketplace. He enjoyed listening to music.

Father Fogarty died on August 24, 1998 at St. James Hospital, Chicago Heights. He is buried in Calvary Cemetery, Tulsa.

Memorial gifts may be made to Province of Our Mother of Good Counsel, 5401 S. Cornell Ave., Chicago, IL 60615-5664, or via our Online Giving Page.