Rev. Thomas E. Nash, O.S.A. (1912-1983)

Rev. Thomas E. Nash, O.S.A. entered eternal life on October 23, 1983.

Thomas Edward Nash was born on September 9, 1912 in Chicago, Illinois to Thomas and Barbara (Cullen) Nash. He was baptized on September 15, 1912 at Good Counsel Catholic Church, Chicago. He received the Sacrament of Confirmation on October 11, 1924 at St. Rita Catholic Church, Chicago.

After his graduation from St. Rita High School in 1931, Thomas undertook pre-law studies at DePaul University, Chicago, from 1931 to 1935. He then worked for a short time as a bank teller.  

On December 10, 1936, Thomas was received into the Augustinian Novitiate. He professed simple (temporary) vows in the Order of St. Augustine on December 11, 1937 and solemn (permanent) vows on December 11, 1940. He completed his undergraduate college education at Villanova College, Villanova, Pennsylvania, earning a B.A. in 1940.  Thomas then pursued theological studies from 1940 to 1944 at Augustinian College, Washington, D.C. He was ordained a priest on May 29, 1943. He received an M.A. in Sociology from Catholic University of America, Washington, in 1944.

Father Nash was assigned as a teacher at St. Rita High School, Chicago, in 1944. When Mendel Catholic High School, Chicago, opened its doors in 1951, he became a member of its first faculty.  In 1958, he was appointed Associate Pastor at St. Matthew Parish, Flint, Michigan. Two years later, in 1960, he returned to Mendel Catholic High School as a teacher.

From 1961 to 1967, Father Nash taught at Cascia Hall School, Tulsa, Oklahoma. He again returned to Mendel Catholic High School in 1967, where he taught until 1971.  He was then assigned to St. Augustine Seminary, Holland, Michigan, where he was Prior (local superior) of the Augustinian community. He served as Prior at St. Monica Monastery, Oconomowoc, Wisconsin, from 1972 to 1979.

Declining health caused Father Nash to be assigned to St. Rita Monastery, Chicago, where, after a lengthy struggle with cancer, he died on October 23, 1983.

Father Nash was known for his wit and his dedicated love for God and God's people. He was both poet and priest, and he shared his heart, his talents and his love of God with many people.

Father Nash is buried in the Augustinian plot at Holy Sepulchre Cemetery, Alsip, Illinois.

Memorial gifts may be made to Province of Our Mother of Good Counsel, 5401 S. Cornell Ave., Chicago, IL 60615-5664, or via our Online Giving Page.