Rev. William F. Doyle, O.S.A. (1904-1969)
Rev. William F. Doyle, O.S.A. entered eternal life on June 15, 1969.
William Francis Doyle was born on September 22, 1904 in Chicago, Illinois to James and Leonora (Quill) Doyle. He was baptized on September 25, 1904 in Holy Family Catholic Church, Chicago. He received the Sacrament of Confirmation on April 29, 1916 at St. John the Baptist Catholic Church, Chicago.
Following graduation from St. Rita High School, Chicago, William was received into the Augustinian Novitiate on June 25, 1924. He professed simple (temporary) vows in the Order of St. Augustine on June 26. 1925 and solemn (permanent) vows on June 26, 1928.
William earned a B.A. in Philosophy from Villanova College, Villanova, Pennsylvania, in 1928. He then pursued theological studies at Augustinian College, Washington, D.C. He was ordained a priest on June 8, 1931. He did additional studies in Education and History at Villanova College.
Father Doyle was assigned to Mother of Consolation Parish, Chestnut Hill, Pennsylvania, in 1932. He taught at Cascia Hall School, Tulsa, Oklahoma, from 1935 to 1940. He was transferred in 1941 to St. Rita High School, Chicago, as a teacher. When the new Augustinian Province of Our Mother of Good Counsel (Augustinians of the Midwest) was formed in 1941, he became affiliated to that Province. That same year, Fr. Doyle was elected Treasurer of the new Province. While serving in that office, he continued his work at St. Rita High School. He served as Prior (local superior) of the Augustinian community at St. Rita High School from 1951 to 1954.
In 1954, Father Doyle was transferred to St. Clare of Montefalco Catholic Parish, Grosse Pointe Park, Michigan, where he was Assistant Pastor and Prior. He was next assigned to St. Augustine Parish, Detroit, Michigan, as Assistant Pastor. In 1960, he was transferred to St. Joseph Mission House, Fort Wayne, Indiana. He remained in that assignment until the time of his death on June 15, 1969.
He is buried in the Augustinian plot at Holy Sepulchre Cemetery, Alsip, Illinois.