Rev. Aloysius J. Tierney, O.S.A. (1902-1995)

Rev. Aloysius J. Tierney, O.S.A. entered eternal life on September 26, 1995.

Aloysius John Tierney was born on March 10, 1902 in McKinley, Pennsylvania to Edward and Nora (Sullivan) Tierney. He had four brothers and three sisters. He was baptized on March 23, 1902 at Immaculate Conception Catholic Church, Jenkintown, Pennsylvania.

On June 21, 1923, Aloysius was received into the Augustinian Novitiate. He professed simple (temporary) vows in the Order of St. Augustine on June 22, 1924 and solemn (permanent) vows on June 22, 1927. He earned a B.A. in Philosophy from Villanova College, Villanova, Pennsylvania, in June 1927. He then did theological studies at Augustinian College, Washington, D.C. On June 10, 1930, he was ordained a priest in Washington by Bishop John M. McNamara.

Father Tierney's first assignment was to St. Rita High School from 1931 to 1940. He then served from 1940 to 1946 as a teacher at Cascia Hall Preparatory School, Tulsa, Oklahoma.  In 1946 and 1947, he was Assistant Pastor at St. Mary Parish, Rockford, Illinois. After this, he was Assistant Pastor of St. Augustine Parish, Detroit, Michigan, from 1947 to 1959. He also served as Prior (Superior) of the Augustinian community there.

From 1959 to 1961, Father Tierney worked as a missionary at San Francisco de la Espada Mission Parish, San Antonio, Texas.  He returned to St. Mary Parish, Rockford, in 1961 and served as Pastor until 1968.  He went back to missionary work from 1968 to 1971 as Pastor of Our Lady of Consolation Parish, Monterrico, Perú, and Prior of the Augustinian community there. He then served at St. Anthony of Padua Parish, Baton Rouge, Lousiana, from 1971 until 1982.

Retiring in 1982, Father Tierney first resided at St. Monica Monastery, Oconomowoc, Wisconsin.  From 1983 to 1989, he resided at Holy Rosary Parish, Kenosha, Wisconsin. He then moved to St. Rita Monastery, Chicago, in 1989, remaining there until his need for special care necessitated a move to Mother Theresa Home, Lemont, Illinois. He died there on September 26, 1995 from heart failure and advanced age.

Father Tierney was a gentle person who was always willing to listen and bring comfort to suffering souls. He dedicated his life to serving the Church wherever the need would arise.

Father Tierney is buried in the Augustinian plot at Holy Sepulchre Cemetery, Alsip, Illinois.

Memorial gifts may be made to Province of Our Mother of Good Counsel, 5401 S. Cornell Ave., Chicago, IL 60615-5664, or via our Online Giving Page.